The Canastota Public Library is dedicated to providing materials and programs that meet the educational, cultural, and recreational needs of all members of our community. We seek materials in a variety of formats that provide current, accurate, and useful information to assist individuals in all of these pursuits. The library strives to maintain a collection of interest and benefit to persons of all ages and abilities.
The Canastota Public Library seeks to fairly represent all points of view in the selection of library materials, programs, and speakers. In addition to celebrating the heritage of the local community, the library also seeks to represent cultures and ideas that may not be established locally. The Canastota Public Library wholly embraces the principles outlined in the American Library Association’s Freedom to Read Statement, the Intellectual Freedom Act, and the Library Bill of Rights and its interpretations.
Our Library Services
- Circulation of books and other materials, including DVD’s, music CD’s, audio books, large print books, periodicals, and civil service test books.
- Reference services. Ask us a question in person, on the phone or through email.
- Special programs, including educational, recreational, and cultural activities for the entire community.
- Materials of all Mid-York libraries, as well as other regional libraries, are available to you through the online catalog.
- Free online access to magazine & newspaper articles and various databases through Mid-York.
- Public access computers and free Wi-Fi are available.
- Interlibrary loan is available for titles not available within Mid-York. Please be aware that this process may take 2-3 weeks. Materials borrowed through the Interlibrary Loan process will have a due date determined by the lending library.
- Conference rooms, available for community and group meetings. Please call ahead to reserve a room.
- Fax and copier for public use. Faxes are $3.00 and copies are $.20 per page for one sided/black only copies. Color copies are $.50 each.
Circulation Policies for the Canastota Public Library
(Other Libraries within the MidYork System may have different policies regarding Circulation.)
- 28 Days for Books and Audio Books
- 14 Days for New Releases, Best Sellers, and Music CDs
- 7 Days for DVDs and Magazines
- 2 Days for New Entertainment DVDs
- 2 Weeks for DVD Series
- Archive Room Materials do not circulate
- The Canastota Public Library does not charge fines for late materials. Other libraries in the MidYork System may have different policies regarding fines. If items are not returned within 14 days of their due date, you will be billed for these items.
- Items may be renewed two times with the exception of new books or bestsellers that are in demand.
- Renewing materials from other libraries will be evaluated by the lending library.
- Library privileges may be suspended if you have any overdue items on your account.
Other Library Information (.pdf files open in a new window)